Saturday, September 02, 2006

Cooperman Returns!

Oh yes...and spookily so. It was only yesterday in the comments section of this guitar post, that both the JDA and myself passed a few fleeting remarks regarding our long lost chum.
Last night ended up being a late one due to me bouncing between the comments section of Ross Parker and Robert Swipe (is this what Friday nights have come to since the onset of middle-aged responsibility?). This proved to be highly addictive in itself (cyber-crack for the masses?), so a further delay occured as I contemplated the compilation of my next Depcast. This is also due to not being able to contact Mick O'Rourke (not the Mickey from acting / boxing fame) as I'm after permission from him to use one of his more radio-friendly songs. He's a hard person to get hold of these days (even worse when he's covered from head to toe in grease - arf, arf!), but in the meantime we can all rejoice at the constant bombardment of guerilla Bobcasts. Robert claims to be prolific with his releases due to him not having a life.
Nevermind, Bob. At least you have an existance of sorts.
Anyway, back to Cooperman. He's like Stac minus the poetry and with a heart of gold.
Silly as arseholes, mind.
I won't go into detail about the 40 pints of beer that he bought at 1992's Monsters of Rock festival at Castle Donnington, nor will I elaborate on the pool cue limbo dancing exhibition he so kindly entertained us with at the Queen Anne pub in Vauxhall.
Cooperman started off as a railway colleague and soon became a firm friend on the gig and festival circuit that we used to attend. We somehow lost track of him shortly before a Pantera concert at the Town and Country club, and I've never seen him since.
Last night (this morning) I went to bed at around 1:30am as I had to be up by 4:00am for work. I was interupted by the missus, claiming that Cooperman had called round at 2:30am in the hope of catching me as he was passing through the area. With timing like that, he should've been Ringo Starr.
Missus Istvanski had a brief chat with him, gave him my number to call later and sent him on his way. Apparentley, Cooperman is settled with partner, 3 cats and one small child (mini Cooper).
On the way to work whilst listening to Slayer at full blast on the in-car entertainment system (the best early morning alarm invented...ever), I contemplated a meeting with the former member of the Selhurst gang. Will it be a few jars down at the Clifton Arms? Or now that he's settled with sprog, will it be a more civilised 'couples' do at a restuarant.
Somehow I miss those 'anything goes' anarchic days of yore, but on the other hand, I'm greatful for where I am today.
Perhaps I'll dig out those photographs from 1992 just one more time...
Anyway, here's hoping that Andy Johnson scores his first for England tonight.

13 comments:

JDA said...

Oh my word, uncanny or what! yet another alcohol fuelled human (ex) comes your way. When I last saw him a few months ago he had lost quite a bit of weight, looking spry! I gave him my number, but as expected he didn't call me, busy being a family man no less.

JDA said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JDA said...

buggered the last one up? try again.

I got a comment the other day on 'Plug for a bruv' so I checked out the site...artwork or what! take a gander if you have not already..."Angel feathers tickle me"....very talented young lady. The odd thing though is she never responds to any comments people leave...curious.

JDA said...

Just sent 'jellybelly' another email telling them that I think their site is rubbish..bollocks to 'em

Molly Bloom said...

It's always nice to catch up with old mates isn't it? It's always good to see how we've all changed throughout the years. It's always the way though...you might wait in all day and then someone will pop round and ring on your doorbell the moment you nip up the stairs for a wee or something.

Istvanski said...

Jif - I've seen 'Angel's site. Curious artwork indeed but by no means bad. Did Jellybelly send you a reply?

Molly - Cooperman's a strange fellow from what I remember (See JDA's comment above). He did actually leave a message on my phone today. I may ring back later with caution and trepidation.

JDA said...

Lovely artwork yes, it reminds me of Middle Earth.

No...heard nothing yet! X##XXX

JDA said...

ADDITION: I just want me money back....can't be asked to try that again with jello!

Istvanski said...

I just had Cooperman on the blower. He's working for a firm servicing engines and he's not too far away from me. Mini cooper is 5 years old now. He seems to be in good spirits.

He told me that John Hayes had a car accident and he was badly mangled (no surprise there then).

JDA said...

that was ages ago, he is back at work now.

Istvanski said...

Yeah, but it's news to me.

West said...

Johnson looked OK I thought....


...for an Everton player...

Istvanski said...

I just hope Palace don't end up being branded as a feeder club like Crewe.