Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Ode To Ricky Grover.

To a point unknown, rarely recognised,
Olive-skinned, black 'tache, very beady eyed.
Current times comedian, triple extra large of vest,
A man Mountain of stature, more so than Leslie West.
I've seen him on the idiot box,
In characters he's created,
A show called "Fuck off, I'm fat",
In which he also narrated.
Highlighting problems of the larger folk,
Was this programme on the telly,
Unfair of us to think,
That they're all unfit and smelly.
But I prefer to refer,
To him in an amusing role,
Side splitting in jester's character,
Even compared with Ashley Cole.
He's been Buller, a prison convict,
A stocking-faced nut,
A mad Greek-Cypriot barber,
Dishing out his demon cut.
Martin Lamont was a spiritualist,
Fraudster, in it for the money,
Exploiting people's fear of death,
Now that was really funny!
He's been a dodgy street salesman,
With look-outs on the move,
Peddling counterfeit articles,
Near Shepherd's Bush tube.
So we salute you, cabaret big man,
From Dunstable down to Dover,
At night your wife may say to you;
"Move over, Grover".

12 comments:

JDA said...

I can remember a scene he did on Red Dwarf 8 playing a criminal in 'the tank' it was all very amusing.

Anonymous said...

I saw him at the Turk's Head doing stand up once. All I remember was that he scoffed a KitKat like a madman, said he was addicted and that he was trying to give them up, pulled up his sleeve to reveal a kitkat wrapper sellotaped to his arm and said "I'm trying the patches"
Ha bloody Ha.

Istvanski said...

Jif - Red Dwarf was a fitting telly series for this character actor.

Dave - Hallo Howesy. Looks like Ricky hit a sore spot with you humour-wise - I know for a fact that you are addicted yourself to Rowntrees choccy. Various guards have told me so themselves and they have passed on the photographic evidence to Stuart Little (Health & Safety in the larder rep).

Molly Bloom said...

Brilliant post Istvanskister. Oooh, poetry...you know what I feel about that! Thankyou for your kind comment on my storyxx

That Kit Kat story is so funny too!

Molly Bloom said...

God...I love choccy too. Yummers, as Billy would say.

Istvanski said...

Molly - I know what you feel about 'good' poetry, I'm not too sure about my second rate Atilla the Stockbroker stuff, though.

rockmother said...

John Cooper Clark is one of my all time favourite performance poets. Might put him on the next poohcast if I ever get out of my hell-hole of work nightmare alive! Roll on Friday (and no that isn't a new deodorant!)

Istvanski said...

Ah yes, JCC! What was that classic poem about kung-fu that he did?

rockmother said...

Kung Fu International. Quality.

Anonymous said...

Waaaaaaaaaat!? Me?!!!!! addicted to Rowntrees? Naaah mate, you've got me all wrong. I only ate it cos Stuart Little gave me a sample. But I can control it I swear. So what if I have a packet of minstrels in my pocket. I only eat them one at a time. honest. scrunch crunch chocklity munch slurp swallow gulp.

Anonymous said...

That wasn't soup!

Molly Bloom said...

I love the JCC line about the 'previous paella' that always makes me laugh.

I thought your poem was brill actually. Thankyou so much for your lovely comment on my blog. That was very kind of youxx