Tuesday, May 05, 2009

I ♥ Seal Clubbing

I need a dream analyst. A few nights ago, I dreamt that I was on an oil rig in the middle of what was a very calm sea. I turned to look out of one of the windows and saw a humungus tidal wave heading towards the rig. Not only did this powerful tidal wave engulf the structure but it knocked it sideways into the sea. I managed to escape through one of the broken windows where I swam to a small island that was occupied entirely by seals. Thousands of them. Realising that I needed food to survive, I started looking for a broken tree branch which would enable me to kill one of the beasts before roasting it over a campfire. Fortunately, a passing amphibious Citroen 2CV pulled over and offered me a lift to the mainland, which I greatly accepted. I had trouble clambering into the vehicle but just as I made myself comfortable, I woke up. What does it mean? I reckon I'm due for a massive heart attack.

Moving on from fears of cardiac arrest, I'd like to wish League Two Champions Brentford FC all the best for next season (coronary inducing pitch invasion celebratory pictures here) and I'd wish Palace even more but I can't muster any enthusiasm. Something that did raise the spirits over the bank holiday weekend was the yearly but ever-so-humble Annual Beddington Fete. Lots of stalls selling bric-a-brac, raffle tickets, tombola, etc but the real attraction of all of this was the open day at the Wildlife Hospital. Set on the edge of Beddington Park, this "charidable" organisation helps restore the health of many animals that can be found in the nearby surroundings, such as foxes, pigeons, ducks and squirrels. They've rescued an albino squirrel from being beaten to death by the more common grey squirrels that infest the locality. I say infest, because to some folk they're classed as vermin. I was once told of an ancient law: if you capture a grey squirrel you are not supposed to let it go and you must kill it to stop the genetic spread of these creatures. I'll be sure to do that next time one of the little gits get into my vehicle through the open sunroof. St Mary's of Beddington is a small, picturesque church which stands to the right of Carew Manor and had opened its doors to the local sight seers. The inside is decorated with beautiful medieval style biblical illustrations which cover the walls in a similar style to that of the classic eastern European icon painters. The bell tower was open, enabling us to see the bell ringers in action as well as being nearly deafened after we climbed the narrow steps further up into the belfry to hear the loud, clanging bells. And then we went to Hastings. The place was crammed full of youngsters who had painted themselves green. Some were playing snare drums, some were throwing shoes. We didn't know what the significance of all this was, so we went in search of a fish'n'chip restaurant. The one we encountered served re-fried chips and I ate every one of them. I reckon I'm due for a massive heart attack.

14 comments:

Dick Headley said...

So those green youngsters are still at it. Wonderful. They never seem to age. Enjoy your fish before the seals get whatever's left of them.

KAZ said...

That dream was all about sex.
So glad the charidee was helping ducks - I love ducks.

Joanne Casey said...

That dream...There's going to be an outbreak of Zombie Flu in Croydon, you will be trapped on the train forever, feeding on birds that fly in the window.

That's exactly what will happen.

Anonymous said...

Chazza said: Kaz: Sex. . .thats a laugh/relief the amount of fidgetin' in bed I thought he'd caught flees off the cat again. .

Nearly got out of bed to fetch the spray (fidgeting stopped. . ) Lol xxx§;-p

The Mistress said...

As a Canadian, I am offended by this post.

I shall take my business elsewhere.

Give me one of those chips on the way out.

Furtheron said...

I try to even avoid remembering dreams they haunt me for ages if I do... like the pink skies and men in long raincoats queuing at a sweet shop... still haven't a clue what I'd injested to cause that one...

savannah said...

i have no idea what all that meant, sugar, but if y'all find someone who can, send'em my way...jaysus, last night i dream of silence of the lambs and i was in it! the MITM had to wake me up - i was crying so much! (ack, now i'm scared all over again!)
xoxoxo

Howesy said...

Mate, you were supposed to be going to the station...
Very jealous of you getting on the pitch, had to rush off, couldn't even go to 't pub after, had to have an early night cos of work Sunday, missed John getting his retirement present...
Apart from that, perfect day!

Ad said...

Bugger.
Didn't know you were going.
You could've come to pre match champers.
Got disgracefully drunk in the various pubs of Brentford until the wee small hours.
Bring on Charlton, etc.

Istvanski said...

DH - There's an anti-wrinkle ingredient in that green stuff. If only L'oreal knew how to bottle it.

Kaz - Just for the record, I have never shagged a duck before. I've never shagged a duckie either.

Joanne - We've had Zombies in Croydon since the year dot.

MJ - Aw, I thought you Canadians welcomed this kind of butchery.
Did you want vinegar on that chip?

Furtheron - Ok, pink skies I can understand, very psychedelic. Men in long coats - too dodgy. I'd see an analyst if I were you.

Savvy - I think Knudsen's yer man! x

Knudsen - ...and there speaks the voice of experience. Ah well, that's one tiny thing we've both got in common, eh?

Howesy - Just for you I've updated this post with video footage. No need to feel jealous - you're the star of the show!
I've got another clip with Ruptured Doug shouting "Get orf the pitch, you silly little wankers!".

Ad - Ch*rlt*n, oh yes. Remember the chant when Norwich come down to Griffin Park (sung to the tune of Pet Shop Boys "Go West"): "Deliaaahhh, is a lesbian..."
"Small town near Ipswich, you're just a small town near Ipswich".

Howesy said...

HoHo! Have got to get a copy of that clip of Dug, he'd love to see that!

Istvanski said...

Howesy - You might be out of luck. My phone's gone bonkers!

Donn - What have those bastard tree rats ever done to you to warrant such hatred?

savannah said...

@howesy..hey, dave! *waving* xoxo

Howesy said...

Hey Sav! Back atcha honey!!