Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Teddington To Beddington Tour De Farce

My crotch is fucked, but not in a way I'd like it to be. I'm talking about riding a bike. No, not that type of bike, but a push bike, as I tried to get to grips with a journey that perhaps, in hindsight, I could've done without.
It's a journey that has been succesfully completed a few times before, perhaps a couple of years ago but using a bike with a heavier steel frame and those clunky, knobbly, thick tyres that are often found on mountain bikes. The Shimano eight speed twist grip gear system was hardly used to its full extent, settling on just three settings that I referred to as 'uphill', 'downhill' and 'flat'. Carrying that beast up a flight of stairs at railway stations after a long slog - which resulted in "jellied legs syndrome" - proved tough going, although still better than feeling nauseous after a punishing session of physical exercise. But as I said before, all that happened a while ago.
Yesterday, after a few minutes of car-less journey planning (in which the main challenge was to get home after doing the twilight shift at work), I checked the weather forecast, which appeared favourable for cycling conditions and decided to pedal home. I kept reassuring myself that it would be easier than previous efforts, what with a different bike that had a lighter aluminium frame, a three speed hub and skinnier tyres - ideal for on-road handling.
Being very much the anti-athlete that I am with a weight problem that has more ups and downs than a whore's drawers, I welcomed the fresh mid-morning air at the start of the journey, it's nature's own cooling system. Decked out only in combat cargo pants, an Adidas polo shirt and Converse high tops, this would be a decent combination of clobber that would make me sweat less and avoid any premature physical burn-out. Or so I thought.
3.40am
I leave work with a resigned determination in the knowledge that what lies ahead can be done but will take some time to achieve. A ride of this calibre is a walk in the park for the likes of Lance Armstrong, but to me it's just a timely inconvenience. I've completed this trip in one hour and fifteen minutes in the past (including stopping for a 10 minute break around the half way point), but I wanted to see how my present heavier human frame would cope this time round. So off I go at a leisurely pace, making my way towards Teddington through the back roads. The only thing that helps me overcome the thought of the mammoth task ahead lies in the stillness of the streets, the relative quietness of minimal motorised traffic which is only spoiled by the boy racers that occasionally roar and charge down Sandy Lane. They be worryin' the deer in Bushey Park, the bastards.
4.00am
I'm feeling fine as I sail through the pedestrianised high street of Kingston-upon-Thames. Late night revellers haggle over prices with unlicensed minicab drivers as I weave around lone drunkards staggering home or trying to find a public bench to crash out on, whichever is the nearest. After passing a colleague cycling the other way into work, I smile and climb the slight hill of Cambridge Road that runs alongside the dodgy estate of the same name towards The Peel. The air is cruelly fresh, and I haven't even warmed myself up. I pass a gang of youths that seem to be pretend-fighting each other on the pavement and give them a wide berth, my advancing years automatically giving me a sense of self-preservation as I avoid anything that looks like dangerous confrontation. One of them looks at me and smirks.
4.20am
I arrive at New Malden roundabout and head straight for the A3 along Burlington Rd. There's an enormous new B&Q that has been erected, all three floors catering for the inner cowboy that is sometimes found within us. I zip under the A3's flyover at Beverley Way, pass what I think is a 24 hour Dunkin' Donuts shop. The smell of fresh donuts hits the cold air and tempts me to make a stop for a little snack-i-poo, which in the end is resisted as it would defeat the purpose. At West Barnes Lane, I get off the saddle, that bastard saddle, the one that remindes my forty year old arse that it's being laughed at by other road users. My bones creak with every step that I take as I carry the bike up a flight of stairs leading towards Bushey Road in Raynes Park. I get to the top and I'm rudely woken out of cycle mode by the flashing blue lights of an ambulance on its way to an important call out. Or maybe the paramedics are making their way to Dunkin' Donuts for a tea break? God knows.
4.30am
I still haven't warmed up, the bitter night air with its vice-like grip refuses to let go and the blubber around my stomach is of no help whatsoever. How do whales do it? My attention is soon diverted by a familiar landmark: Morden underground station, the southern most tip on the Northern line and I start to feel at home. I turn into Morden Hall Road where a motorist is routinely pulled over by a police patrol van. There are three coppers in the van and I start to wonder where they were on April 1st. I decide against a crafty shortcut towards Middleton Road that runs parallel to Tooting and Mitcham United's football ground (c'mon you Terrors!) and along the Wandle river's towpath because of the total absence of lighting. I choose Peterborough Road instead, much safer and probably much drier too. It's a road that's longer than it looks on the map, but soon I arrive at its end and glide into the Hackbridge morning mist.
4.50am
On passing Hackbridge station, I walk the bike up the railway bridge and once I reach the top, I sorely clamber back onto that unforgiving saddle and lazily coast my way into Beddington Park where the air gets spitefully colder. I glance at my watch and decide to set myself a deadline arrival of 5.00am. Fortunately I'm not too far from home and I start pedalling like a possessed maniac through the thick mist that has eerily settled in the park, floating menacingly above the grass like it does in any Hammer House of Horror film. The old graveyard surrounding St Mary's church looks equally as spooky but also welcoming as I hit the last 50 yards and suddenley I'm home, dead on five o'clock.
5.00am
Mission Accomplished. One hour and twenty minutes later of non-stop physical endurance and not a single bead of sweat has left a pore, I don't even stink of hard earned B.O. My body is still cold from the experience as I clamber under the duvet and thoughts of getting pneumonia fade away as a chirpy dawn chorus helps me fall asleep. Not that I ever needed much help after eleven, shivering miles.

16 comments:

Mark Sanderson said...

Yikes. A tough session in the saddle and if that's not bad enough you've got to try and kip in the day time? Sod that.

Istvanski said...

Funny you should say that, Emerson. After 11 miles on that fucking saddle, I feel like I've been royally sodomised.

The Mistress said...

On yer bike!

I was just looking for an excuse to say that.

Anonymous said...

chazza said:. . . . .A r i s e Sir Istvanski. . .§:-p xxx

Joanne Casey said...

This tale makes me feel serene in a kind of "I'm tucked up in bed and you're not" kind of way. Shouldn't laugh, I doubt I could make a mile on a bike.

Anonymous said...

chazza said:

JC. . Isti's choosing, he turned me down picking him up. . .lol §;-p. .xxx

Isti. . 0y. . .Oink 0ink. . .u better be showering at work u little piggy. . .(memory mattress will be soggy mattress. . ). . .lol

Stray Photon said...

I do hope you had your lights on...

rockmother said...

and a helmet not just for protection but for warmth. What you need is a gel saddle - apparently they are brilliant.http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=14056&src=froogle

Loved your account of your journey by the way - very atmospheric. That's a long way at that time of night Mr but nice I guess due to it being quiet.x

Furtheron said...

I've only read the first sentance and had to comment... that is the greatest opening line to a post I've read in years... Now what the hell is this post about... not that it really matters now, it's already brightened up my day

Furtheron said...

11miles in the middle of the night... Are you nuts!

KAZ said...

Wow
That's certainly the time for bike riding. I'm proud of you.
btw - I could be wrong - but I don't think whales usually ride bikes

Liz said...

Excellent post Istvanski - your talents are wasted on the railway.

I hate cycling - I'd much rather walk, although clearly not at that time of the morning!

Anonymous said...

chazza said:
Rom's. . Isti has an 'air saddle' I bought just for that reason (spoilt rotten). You know men and suffering for the cause. . Lol. Pain being pleasure i guess. . .§;-p xxx

Mondo said...

IV nothing to do with bikes but - there's a great piece in Captain Sensible's blog about his kit and equipment posted today

You can check it here...

Istvanski said...

Cheers for the encouraging comments, everyone! I re-did the very same journey on Thursday night / Friday morning and this time I did sweat. I still ached from my first attempt and I constantly cycled into the wind, but...I shaved 5 minutes off my journey time to 1h15 mins! Hurrah!

MJ - Watch it! Once I master this cycling lark I'll end up with muscly legs so solid that I'll be able to kick yo ass all the way to Buffalo!

Joanne - I'm serene on nightshift - when you have to get up in the morning and I'm going to bed. Works both ways ;-P

Stray - The lights are always on. Wether there's anyone at home is a different matter.

RoMo - Cheers, Roster!
Helmet laws suck (geddit?), as Harley riders might say. But I don't ride a Harley and there are no laws for cycles apart from recommendations perhaps. Chazza bought me a gel seat from Lidls but I'm reserving that for my Marin custom build.

Furtheron - Cheers, matey. Grab 'em by the bollocks with a killer opening line. Something I've recently learned. Talkin' of bollocks, yes - I am nuts.

Kaz - What's that saying about "summat...being like a fish without a bicycle"?

Liz - Aw, ta. Walking is good, but it takes longer although feld walking...now you're talking!

PM - Cheers for the link. Lots of luverly Line 6 gear. Sensible has taste!

Sylvia said...

ooh - you're v brave. Is there much traffic at that time of night?