Friday, November 14, 2008

Puppets Not Muppets

Above left to right: John Holdsworth, Gerry Anderson, Parsley, Jim and Ravi LowBeer

I was lucky enough to have a very pleasant and delightful evening recently with those nutty Adventures of Parsley types at The Royal Festival Hall. They turned out in full regalia to promote themselves as a live band who play cult TV theme tunes (weddings, parties, barmitzvahs, etc all catered for). It was just the right type of event for this kind of promotion as the RFH was hosting a night of Barry Gray themes played by a 70 piece orchestra and compered by none other than the rather loud and jolly Brian Blessed.
To hear the Thunderbirds music routinely on the telly is a call for every child to stop what they're doing and avert their little minces towards the screen. To hear a real live orchestra playing it is nothing short of magical. It really is hair raising stuff as you get to hear the full dynamics of such a grand composition and I was sure that most of the Gerry Anderson geeks in the nearly sold out venue were expecting a very special night.
The Space 1999 theme was my personal favorite of all the ones played although it was a trifle short in duration. Joe 90 suffered from initial timing problems but I'm just nit-picking. After the concert I bumped into Sir Brian of Blessed who was just leaving the venue himself and was lapping up the praise that the enthusiasts were throwing him.
"Nice job, Bri" I say.
"Bless you dear boy, thank you, thank you, thaaannnkkk you..." he bellows.
FIVE....(Duuhhh!), FOUR....(Daahhh!), THREE....(Deehhh!), TWO....(Deerrr!), ONE!
THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!
Next Week: I get to drive my very own tank.

7 comments:

rockmother said...

Col took the words right out of my mouth - there I was scrolling down the feedthingy whizzing past Istvanski feeling a whiff of familiar despondency and then nearly fell over because the bastard's only gone and done a bloody post! How very marvellous. Space 1999 - starring Martin Landau (Open Top Carriage as we used to call him) - one of my favourite shows - so much so I bought lots of them off ebay a few years ago. Sad but true x

rockmother said...

...Er...ahem PS: have you seen the new poohcast page? http://therockmother.podbean.com/

If not - you should - 81 hits since Monday - not bad for an old bag like me! ;-)

savannah said...

hey sugar!!!! when'd y'all come back? damn, so much to catch up with! i really did miss you, yanno!! xoxoxo

Istvanski said...

Col - I'll be blogging sporadically from now on. There's a few events coming up that will need reviewing and after that I shall crawl back under my rock.

Romo - I'll try and download your cast soon. I can't see you ever becoming an "old bag", however "vintage nutter" would be a more suitable tag for your good self ;-p

Savvy - Aw, thank you sugar. I hear things are looking up Stateside. I'll have to visit soon x

Dick Headley said...

Back then are you. I was thinking you'd run off somewhere with Sarah Palin.

Anonymous said...

'Bout bleedin' time.

Geekorama, although I am most impressed by Bellowing Brian Blessed. And Space 1999. I'm with RM, one of my favourites during my formative years.

Istvanski said...

Dick - You must be refering to that Sarah Palin fisting expedition. I would've been away for longer had it not been for the technical wonder of GPS.

JPT - Space 1999 was a superb sci-fi program for its time. The only thing they got wrong was the daft crimplene flared trousers. Oh, and the fact that mankind would never become that technologically advanced as to build something like Moonbase Alpha by the year 1999.