Thursday, November 09, 2006

Yesterday's Filmfest.

What better way to spend an evening than to catch up on a few films? We decided that a trip to the picture house was long overdue, and seeing as though I'm not too fond of over crowded theatre like spaces (filled with chavs talking throughout the movie on their mobiles or firing popcorn missiles at every opportunity), we thought that watching The Departed would be a good bet.
It's not a bad film, but it's not one of Scorsese's better works. Instead of a picture about the Italian mafia, we get a film about the Irish mafia in Boston (but mostly filmed in New York for tax reasons). When it came to the acting, no individual performances stood out, but as a whole it was an enjoyable piece of entertainment where the script and the editing carried the film. I must say that I'm starting to get a bit sick of hearing "Gimme Shelter" yet again in another Scorsese pic. I guess he's a fan...
*
After a dinner break at Nando's (great chicken, great sauces, Japanese flag in the morning) we ventured back into the cinema for Borat!: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan. Believe the hype. This is seriously funny. The scene where Cohen's character has an altercation with his very large, very ugly and very hairy assistant is utterly gross. I think most of the audience (a good turn out for a recently released film) were vomiting as they were laughing. Jagshemash indeed.
*
At home we decided to catch up on what was pre-recorded from Film 4. The Business is about a bunch of rough rogues living on Spain's Costa del Crime. Set in the eighties (with product placement going on the clothing trends of the period in question) it pales in comparison to Nick Love's previous celluloid effort. The Football Factory (Chelsea hooligans versus Millwall thugs - who cares who wins?) was the superior film about soccer violence compared to Green Street (West Ham firm run by a bloke called Alan who teams up with a Hobbit and attempts to 'take' the French end at the Emirates stadium). Still, The Business wasn't as good as Sexy Beast, which to me, remains the best film in the genre of British gangster movies.
*
So basically, if you haven't seen the Borat film, go do so.

12 comments:

Dick Headley said...

I totally concur....Sexy Beast was fucking brilliant. I'll look out for The Business.

JDA said...

As you well know, films like that are not the 'genre' I watch or admire, in fact I think they are pap! those two 'football hooligan' based films were fucking awful! I recently had to endure the one with 'Frodo' in it, my word 'moron vision' 'retard vision' 'lobotomy vision' you name it....absolute crap!!

As for the new 'snores easy' film, can't comment on that...haven't seen it! but I can imagine that it's central theme is once again Catholicism (when is it anything else)

"Sexy Beast" yeah seen that, load of thugs running around Spain and England doing diabolical things to each other...I find those films truly disturbing...and to think that they are done in the name of entertainment! sorry...don't like em!!!!!! they shrink your soul.

Billy said...

Sexy Beast: Ray Winston gets out-psychoed by "Gandi" and "Lovejoy". Top film.

I've not seen the film of the Football Factory. The book was excellent (I still remember the first line "Coventry are fuck all. They're a shit team with shit support".

Istvanski said...

DH - Only look out for 'The Business' if there isn't anything else worth seeing. It's not exactly essential cinema viewing.

JDA - Catholicism does feature in Snrosaysie's new one, albeight slightly. I'd say it's more of a cops'n'robbers film more akin to 'Heat' than 'Last Temptation of Christ'. I suppose you'll be looking forward to 'Jackass 2' (I certainly will - the trailer's great). This is the type of lobotomy vision we both enjoy, isn't it Jif?

Billy - Ben Kingsley stole the show in his role in 'Sexy Beast', it's what made it enjoyable. If there is one soccer-thug film I'd recomend, I suppose it'd be 'Football Factory' as it has it's comic moments (even though 'The Firm' was passable).

Dick Headley said...

Gangster movies as entertainment. Now there's an interesting topic loaded with moral implications. I hope you and JDA are going to have a big argument about it. I'll get some popcorn.

Molly Bloom said...

I do like a bit of Ray W. But...'Nil By Mouth' has to be the best of his.

JDA said...

new 'Jack-ass' movie! I like the comic absurdity.

DH: not going to argue 'bout it, Istvanski knows very well what I like and don't like! The only film of that genre I can actually say I like watching is the 'God Father' or the occasional 'Goodfellows'.

Oh yes, Istvan....sorted your hard drive out yet? I'm thinking of paying PC World a visit in January for a possible new lap top in a sale maybe?

Dick Headley said...

One more comment about "Sexy Beast" then I'll shut up. I think I liked it because it seemed so 'real', especially the dialogue, not because it was about gangsters as such. It was Ben Kingsley that gave it such a nasty tone and yes, he stole the show.

JDA said...

DH: I would agree there 'Ben Kingsley' gave it talent the film didn't really deserve! he must have got paid well?

Istvanski said...

Molly - Nil by Mouth? Is that the one with Denise Van Outen and Pertwee Jnr in it?

JDA - If you like comic absurdity, you would love Borat.

JDA said...

'Nil by Mouth' that was done by Gary Oldman wasn't it?

Howesy said...

saw Borat this p.m. larfed my nuts off. "my moustache still tastes of your testes", "fuck off Death".

BTW, where's the banter with Bob? found the tail end of it on Roberta's bit.

I'll get in touch with 'im and sort something out.

Stray plays on his myspace space too (if it works)